Saturday, October 17, 2009

Track 5- Do Your Will

"Do Your Will"
by Josh Huff (2005)

Verse 1:
As I walk along this path of life, I tend to lose my way.
I lack the strength to stay the course, to hear God and obey.
My prideful heart will drive me on, thinking it knows best,
But God has said He'll lead me through,
and in that my soul can rest.
Chorus:
O Lord, I need Your help today
Your Spirit needs to guide me as I pray
And though I don't know where to go
Your Word will light the way
O God, give me the strength to do Your will
Verse 2:
Though I don't know all the answers yet,
I serve the one who does;
He's guiding me through tests and trials,
and in Him I place my trust.
My sovereign God will faithfully
direct my willful plans,
Because He promised to complete the work
He fashioned with His hands.

This song was written during a very turbulent period in my life. Moriah and I had been serving at Community Baptist Church for about 4 months and were really feeling the pull to move into some other kind of ministry and perhaps even leave that church. We didn’t know what to do. There were pros and cons for staying and going. We had our own thoughts, but we really wanted to do what God wanted, not just what was comfortable or easy. In this midst of this several scriptures came to mind. One was Romans 8:26-28 which speaks of our weakness in prayer. “…we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us…” is what Paul writes in verse 26.

Several promises from God’s Word also came to mind. Philippians 1:6 says, “…he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” There is also the promise from God’s Word that the Bible will be a light to our path (Psalm 119:105). God brought all of these ideas to mind as a comfort in the midst of this trial.

As I sought a way to pray to God and express what I was going through, I wandered over to the piano and began playing. The words just came out and this song began to take shape. A study through James and reading some of Augustine shaped parts of the song as well as I thought about future plans and how we don’t know what tomorrow may bring (James 4:13-15) and how the only place we can really find rest from worry is when we rest in Christ. That is how this song came into existence. You’ll see other ideas woven throughout the text, but those are the main thoughts I wanted to express.

The style is a bit reminiscent of Keith Green, one of my musical and spiritual models. I always appreciated his passion for God and the way He expressed theology with his music. As my family and I move into yet another season of testing and trial, the words of this song speak to me louder than ever. Our souls can only find rest when they rest in Christ. We are trusting that God’s Word will always light the way and that whatever God asks of us, He will enable us to do.

No comments: